Ronald Reagan: An American Life (p. 162):
"One of the first things I told the members of my cabinet was that when I had a decision to make, I wanted to hear all sides of the issue, but there was one thing I didn’t want to hear: the political ramifications of my choices. The minute you begin saying, 'This is good or bad politically,' I said, 'you start compromising principle. The only consideration I want to hear is whether it is good or bad for the people.'"

Monday, May 28, 2012

These dead shall not have died in vain.

The dilemma of every Memorial Day: Can I post a unique, thoughtful Facebook status to honor those who died for my freedom? Words cannot describe the ultimate sacrifice. The only words that come to mind are those of President Lincoln at Gettysburg.
It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced…that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain – that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom – and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
How can I be dedicated to their unfinished work? I’ll let Benjamin Franklin answer that: “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

What are my priorities in this election season? Will I vote for the person who promises me security, who promises a chicken in every pot? Gifts are never free. Someone pays the price. If the government promises me one thing, I will pay for it in a different way. Or my neighbor will pay.

Freedom isn’t free. Someone paid the ultimate price for me. Will I, like Esau, sell my birthright for bread and pottage?

1 comment: