Ronald Reagan: An American Life (p. 162):
"One of the first things I told the members of my cabinet was that when I had a decision to make, I wanted to hear all sides of the issue, but there was one thing I didn’t want to hear: the political ramifications of my choices. The minute you begin saying, 'This is good or bad politically,' I said, 'you start compromising principle. The only consideration I want to hear is whether it is good or bad for the people.'"

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Ferrari Giveaway! See Details Below.


I’ve found a guaranteed way to get music students to continue lessons throughout high school. Give Ferraris for graduation presents. Can I afford it? Hm…maybe I’ll stall a little. This promise only applies to future high school students. If you’re graduating this year, tough luck.

I’ll have four years to save money before starting my giveaway. My income will be great because I’ll have so many students. I’ll have a balanced budget. I’ll have no debt. My financial statistics will be incredible. As long as you don’t look at my future promises.

Stupid plan? I agree. But why do we fall for it when politicians propose similar things?

When accessing the financial well being of our state and nation, let’s remember to ask all the questions.
  • Are we bringing in as much money as we’re paying out?
  • Is our debt sustainable?
  • Have we made promises we cannot keep?

Political promises include social security, Medicare, retirement for government employees, health care, and many other things. What have politicians not promised? Do we trust them?

If we cannot keep our promises, we need to change direction immediately. The promise may be wonderful. I know my students would love a Ferrari, but they shouldn’t get their hopes up as I attend graduation parties this spring. Want a Matchbox car?

No comments:

Post a Comment