Ronald Reagan: An American Life (p. 162):
"One of the first things I told the members of my cabinet was that when I had a decision to make, I wanted to hear all sides of the issue, but there was one thing I didn’t want to hear: the political ramifications of my choices. The minute you begin saying, 'This is good or bad politically,' I said, 'you start compromising principle. The only consideration I want to hear is whether it is good or bad for the people.'"

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Prosser Equals Walker, or Does He?

I have an identical twin. She and I are a lot alike. But sometimes we are opposites. I would not want anyone to say, “Jennifer equals Terry.” Why do we do this to politicians?

Many of Justice Prosser’s views are similar to Governor Walker’s. Prosser served as a Republican in the state legislature for eighteen years. If he had to make policy, he might still vote with the Republicans much of the time. But all of the time?

In an interview with The Associated Press, Prosser responded to a question about the budget repair bill. He said, "I don't necessarily agree with the bill. That's all I'm saying. It doesn't mean anything. My personal opinion doesn't mean anything at all." (See "Prosser Questions Budget Repair.")

Judges do not make policy. They are responsible for impartially applying the law to individual situations.

Has Prosser done this? People cite cases in which they do not like the conclusions Prosser reached. But like is not the question. He might not have liked his own decisions.

Showing partiality to the poor is just as wrong as showing partiality to the rich. Judges must be impartial. Did Prosser succeed in this? Did he properly interpret and apply the law?

Those who claim that Prosser equals Walker are responsible for providing evidence. If you believe Prosser misinterpreted the law, you are welcome to comment on this post and give me specific examples. Please be polite. The purpose of this blog is to promote rational discussion, not inflammatory political rhetoric.

No comments:

Post a Comment