Ronald Reagan: An American Life (p. 162):
"One of the first things I told the members of my cabinet was that when I had a decision to make, I wanted to hear all sides of the issue, but there was one thing I didn’t want to hear: the political ramifications of my choices. The minute you begin saying, 'This is good or bad politically,' I said, 'you start compromising principle. The only consideration I want to hear is whether it is good or bad for the people.'"

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Experience

“Is this a good violin?” a parent asked me.

Gulp. How am I supposed to know?

Granted, I am a violin teacher. I have a degree in music. I graduated summa cum laude. That means I play well. I can analyze harmonies. I can discuss the artistic culture of the late 1800s. But college taught me nothing about the quality of student-level violins.

I have learned much since that first frightening experience. I have learned it in the trenches where most learning happens. But the experience makes me think twice about other people’s lists of impressive credentials.

Assistant Attorney General Kloppenburg graduated with honors from the University of Wisconsin Law School (1988). She has argued cases in circuit courts, the Wisconsin Court of Appeals, and the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

But what have these cases been about? According to Media Trackers, “since 1990 she has only argued seven criminal cases before higher courts.” Media Trackers reviewed the cases Kloppenburg has argued before these courts. The website found that over 75% of the cases involved the DNR or environmental issues.

More importantly, Kloppenburg has never been a judge. Judges must be impartial. Do we have evidence she can do this?

Impartiality is very difficult. I struggle with it. I am sure you can decipher my political leanings from my first two posts on this blog.

When electing someone to a ten-year term on our state’s highest court, I would be much more comfortable with a candidate who has judicial experience and a written record that can be examined.

No comments:

Post a Comment