Ronald Reagan: An American Life (p. 162):
"One of the first things I told the members of my cabinet was that when I had a decision to make, I wanted to hear all sides of the issue, but there was one thing I didn’t want to hear: the political ramifications of my choices. The minute you begin saying, 'This is good or bad politically,' I said, 'you start compromising principle. The only consideration I want to hear is whether it is good or bad for the people.'"

Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Musician's Take on Gun Control


“Let me write the songs of a nation and I care not who writes its laws.” ~ Andrew Fletcher

In the wake of the Newtown school shooting, we ask why there is such an increase in random violence. Many call for stricter gun control laws. But are we just treating the symptom?

Why is there such violence? Pick up a teen’s iPod. Play his video games. Go to the movies.

We claim that posting the Ten Commandments in the public school would be religious coercion. And violence in the media has no effect?

If we pass a new gun control law and ignore the greater problem, we are either fools or hypocrites. Take your pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment